Sunday, March 26, 2006

The trip to Atlanta high schools as part of the initiative trying to encourage girls into engineering went decently well. I will put up a couple of pictures soon, though we've been instructed that we can't have any pictures with faces of girls without their parents' permissions, since they are minors. So I'll have to find a pic with anything but their faces apparently.

It also turns out that there's a big stigma there associated with girls being smart. One of the teachers talked about how she was disappointed that their generation had fought for women's rights and what not, and now the middle school girls actually feel that they should not act too smart in front of the guys. weird. How things change when you're in college. I think.

Also, after one of the presentations at a pretty affluent school, I was talking to some girls, one of whom was of south asian origin. She said 'I dont know about this whole engineering thing.. I'm probably just going to become a doctor' (talk about stereotypes). And then the blonde friend said 'I want to become the wife of a doctor'. And then a third girl said 'I jsut want to have enough money to buy all these cool inventions instead of making them'. So much for trying to convince them to become engineers. So much for really strong stereotypes. But there were a few who seemed convinced. I think I have done my good deed for the year.